I made a lovely pot of vegetable soup this week, and we have enjoyed it so much. Since the weather has been chilly, we find ourselves craving warm, yummy things for supper.
This is how I make my soup:
- I start with one large bottle of tomato juice
- Add 2-5 T of Better-Than-Bouillon vegetable base (according to your taste)
- Add 1/2 head of cabbage, shredded (do not skip this step…it adds SO MUCH flavor!)
- Add diced veggies of your choice (I do an entire onion and 3 or 4 potatoes)
- Add canned veggies of your choice (I put in organic carrots, baby peas, large butter beans & great northern beans)
- Add any frozen veggie of your choice (I add 1/2 bag of yellow corn)
- Salt to taste
- Simmer all day
That's it! You can put in whatever veggies your family likes, and add any seasonings you prefer. It really is important to add that cabbage, though; and if your family doesn't like cabbage very much, don't worry, it cooks down to almost nothing. But the flavor it adds — YUMMO! :o)
Now, for you meat eaters (hehehe) I will tell you this: this is Doug's grandma's recipe, minus two ingredients.
- She browns a roast, then cooks it until tender; shreds it; and adds the beef and all the drippings to the soup.
- She adds a small amount of sugar to taste.
We thought we would really miss the meat, but we don't. We love this soup with just the veggies, because, really, who needs more sugar in their diet?
I'd love to hear from you if you give it a try!
One thought on “Vegetarian Vegetable Soup”
YUM!!!! Thanks for sharing, and yep I would have skipped the cabbage, but I won’t now! 😉
Comments are closed.