Whew, yesterday was rough! Isaac was not feeling well, and was extremely agitated. We couldn't really put our finger on the exact problem.
- Was he having pain at the incisions sites – there are 2 on his belly and one on the back of his head (at least 3 inches long)
- Was his system just "coming down" off all the meds and anesthesia from the surgery?
- Was his new and improved shunt working too well, pulling too much fluid from his brain, resulting in a severe headache?
- Was the acetaminophen taking its toll? It does make him grumpy, and it had been alternated with Motrin since Friday.
- Was he simply tired of being doctored and washed and bandaged and medicated?
- Was he going through "Mommy-and-Daddy-in-my-room-ALL-THE-TIME" withdrawals?
- Was he tired of the HAT?
We never did figure it out. He was awake for 24 hours straight – kicking, vocalizing, slapping (not us, he habitually rubs/slaps his belly and thighs), whining, flicking his hands and arms – just generally not well and not happy.
It was frustrating and sad.
We talked to doctors and decided to wait the night out, and reevaluate this morning.
We did 3 things: took off the hat, stopped the Tylenol and let him fuss without going to check on him.
At 11:30 last night, he was still miserable, so I asked friends on Facebook to pray especially for him. And they did! Shortly after midnight, he was asleep and slept until after 9 a.m. this morning!
He has been peaceful and happy and content all day.
I don't know which of those things helped, or if any of them made a difference.
The only thing that I truly know did a work in him was the prayer. God's peacefulness settled in around us here in our home; and we all rested the night through.
I am so amazed – constantly – by the goodness of God. I am always surprised when prayers are answered, and I don't know why that still is! lol! I have seen so many of them answered, you'd think I'd get used to it. I'm glad, though, that I don't take it for granted; and that I am still in awe of the power of my God.
For those of you who have asked: my back is still pretty bad. I was able to get to the chiro yesterday. I am able to walk – very slowly; I really can't do much for Isaac, except to hand things to Doug and help with Isaac's surgery sites. I can sit for short periods of time in my wheelchair. Thank GOD for that chair! So…better than Thursday and Friday, although still not able to do much. Sigh… :o)
Thank you, again, for all your prayer and well wishes. I don't know what we would do without family and friends who care enough to talk to the God of the universe about our small problems. We are so grateful.