November 8, 2010
Today I am Thankful…
…for the experts!
I'm not referring to the media or the politicians or the pollsters or even adademia.
I'm talking about those who practice their particular skill, talent or job until they know it inside and out, backwards and forwards, up and down and all the in betweens.
They are such a blessing to us aren't they?
Think about the following:
- the mechanic who you trust to do an excellent job on your vehicle, knowing the work will be thorough and the price will be reasonable.
- the hairdresser who never cuts off too much hair and always gets the color juuuuust right.
- the a/c tech who gets the compressor running in July.
- the choir leader who knows how to coax a beautiful sound out of those of us who tend to make a "joyful noise".
- the teacher who controls the classroom while teaching the students information that they retain AND understand.
- the veterinarian who helps our pets stay healthy and happy.
- the pianist who practices at home so that her public performance is beautiful and uplifting.
- the exterminator who makes sure that we never see a roach or a rat in our house.
- the architect who draws plans for buildings that cause us to catch our breath as we view their majestic presence.
- the coach who teaches his athletes teamwork and character, as well as how to play the game.
- the interpreter who makes the speaker's message clear and exact to those who cannot understand his words.
- the guardian ad litem who intercedes for the child in foster care, making sure that the needs of the child are met and that the child is as safe and comfortable as possible.
- the doctor who truly listens and then treats you as a person, not a symptom.
- the grandma who cans the perfect preserves and makes the yummiest cookies.
- the mommy who can read any storybook and convey their children on magical adventures they will remember for the rest of their lives.
- the pastor who brings the Bible to life, making the Gospel of salvation so clear that even a child can understand.
These are all experts, and I am thankful for them.
But the coolest things is that I can be an expert too. Perhaps not in every area, but in one or two, certainly. I don't have to do things better than everyone else does them, but I can do my best.
I can ask the Lord for direction and passion in my everyday tasks. I can do them all for His glory.
Colossians 3:17 – "And whatsoever ye do in word or in deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus…"
Colossians 3:23 – "And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;"
That makes me an expert too! 🙂
What expert are YOU thankful for today?