Philippians 4:9 "Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you."
Part of my Twitter profile reads "…Information Gatherer".
Oh, I do love to learn things! All sorts of things!
Recently, I've looked up information on the following subjects:
- on how to make a vegetarian sandwich spread,
- on Medicare coverage for blood glucose monitors,
- on how to install a car seat in our new vehicle,
- on the anti-supplement amendment,
- on how to hone my writing skills and
- on hurricane preparation.
I really love to learn.
However, there comes a point when all my learning is useless, unless I actually DO something.
What good does it do me to learn all about growing cucumbers, if I never actually plant, water and tend a cucumber plant?
I can read all about hurricane preparation, but if I never actually prepare, I will find myself miserable, hungry, dirty and in great need during an actual storm.
Maybe that was Paul's point in the verse above:
- You've learned about God
- You've received Christ as your Saviour
- You've heard how other Christians are living
- You've watched how I serve the Lord
Now DO it for yourself!!!
All of this Scriptural study makes for great thinking, meditating, musing and debating; but if that is all we do with it, we are not fulfilling the will of Christ for our lives.
He wants us to leave our halls of learning, go out from our offices and studies, and LIVE out His Word in the world around us.
So, our challenge is this:
Did we learn something new about the Lord Jesus Christ in church yesterday? Were we reminded of some truth of Scripture in the sermons that we heard?
Then let's DO something to live that truth today.
I can't wait to see what else we learn as we live out what we have already learned!!!