Proverbs 4:12 "When thou goest, thy steps shall not be straitened*; and when thou runnest, thou shalt not stumble."
(*Straighten – To make narrow, tense or close; To reduce to difficulties or distress.)
God does not promise safety to us while we are sitting still. His promise of protection parallels our forward movement.
This is not solely for physical movement (i.e. "goest" and "runnest"), although Scripture uses that picture to illustrate the point.
The Lord's defense from harm is for the one whose faith is propelling him forward in whatever direction the Holy Spirit leads.
Perhaps you are not sure in which direction the Lord would have you go right now. The answer is not that you sit down, cease all action and twiddle your thumbs while you await further instructions.
There is work to be done today:
- There are people who need a kind word of encouragement.
- There is a child who needs to be shown the love of Christ.
- There is a song of praise to be sung.
- There are dishes to be washed.
- There is a boss who needs the testimony of a happily, obedient employee.
- There are pastors who need prayer.
- There is a sick friend who needs a visit.
- There are floors to be swept and laundry to be washed.
- There are budgets that need to be balanced.
- There is Scripture to be memorized.
- There are meals to be cooked.
- There are people who need to see Christ lived out in your life.
Do not stop today's work while waiting for tomorrow's answer.
Our safe passage is only promised us as we are moving forward in obedience to the Lord's leading.
Proverbs 4:12 "When thou goest, thy steps shall not be straitened; and when thou runnest, thou shalt not stumble."